Monday, March 3, 2008

DECEPTIVELY DELICIOUS!


It is a Monday! This is my “Me” day! I always try to schedule a day (or at least half a day) for just me! It is very important to give yourself some time for your mind and body!

Well, It is all about meetings this morning then off to get my weekly massage by Suzi. I treasure my Suzi days! But before I head off ………I am going to make a great breakfast for the kids and I. (My husband always eats his raw oatmeal w/applesauce and cinnamon - that’s an ex-body builder for ya!). I have enjoyed this cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld http://deceptivelydelicious.com/site/ (the author is the wife of actor, Jerry Seinfeld), called “Deceptively Delicious”. It has inspired me to be more creative and make up my own recipes and substitute veggies and fruits into foods that I make for my family.

I have been making my own baby food for the kids since they were little but now that they have discovered snacks at school that have BHT and Hydrogenated Oils, I am struggling to get them to ask for healthier foods. There is that saying and theory that “you need to disease your body in order for it to know how to heal itself” but I want to educate my kids on how to eat better and not eat all those diseased foods so they know how to have a healthy lifestyle. Most of all my life, I have been a healthy eater and into body maintenance. I feel it is very important to start young on eating well so you can have a long life! So, if I can be deceptional, in other words, “what they don’t know really will not kill them-seriously!” and sneak some veggies and fruits into our meals they will think they are eating awesome foods like cupcakes and hamburgers but what they will not know is that there is spinach, pumpkin, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts in it too! ha ha! It is a WIN –WIN!

I think my kids are on to me because they know I put pureed pumpkin into the chocolate cupcakes – but they are sooo good! They ate them right up! I do not think this recipe is in the cookbook but I put pureed beets into the pasta sauce and we had fun with the color - the kids and I called it blood spaghetti - of coarse my son loved that idea! ha!
Most of the time my kids love to help me in the kitchen so this is fun for them to create some healthy recipes and naming them. If your kids discover what you are doing -tell them it is the “SECRETE” recipe that no one knows about! Then it becomes something really fun! So….the moral to this blog is ……..eat healthy, teach your kids to be healthy and get them in the kitchen to help to educate them on having a healthier lifestyle! Not only for them but for yourself and family too!
Since I am one of the chairs for the Go Red for Women Luncheon I want to give you some other
facts and info: Heart Disease is the No. 1 killer of women –and of men but with Childhood Obesity being at an all-time high- we need to start becoming good role models so our children learn at an early age how to maintain a healthy lifestyle for years to come. Let’s all eat healthy, take control so we can live a long happy life without heart disease!
AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION see more info at http://www.goredforwomen.org/

Eat well, live long and eat deceptional delicious foods! : )

No comments:

a~la mode Archives

My Headlines