Monday, March 3, 2008

Hunger, Bake Sales and Rain.........





It is amazing how reading an email or one article can affect a mood or make you determined to make a change.........

Yesterday, I talked about a great cookbook to have for children and then I read an article regarding how children are going hungry today. A dear friend emailed me some info and thought this was a mission I would be very interested in. This definitely got my attention!


"Imagine what it's really like to go hungry," then imagine what that must be like for a small child, how that must make them feel, completely lesser-than in every way; they're not good enough to get food?"

The Great American Bake Sale was created in the charity Share Our Strength in partnership with PARADE Magazine. This year it runs from May 19 to August 31. Rachael Ray is promoting the Great American Bake Sale, a national campaign in which participants hold bake sales this summer to raise money to feed hungry children. Find more info about it at http://www.greatamericanbakesale.org/ or check out this article http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2007-05-20-rachael-ray_N.htm
You can find recipes and bake sale tips by another Food Network star Sandra Lee for your own Great American Bake Sale. Here's the link:
http://gabs.strength.org/site/PageServer?pagename=GABS_getinvolved_participants

It just makes me think how fortunate I was to have a roof over my head and the parents that I have! I am grateful to have what I have today! We did not have much when I was growing up but my mother and father made sure we ate healthy meals. I look at my children and think how truly blessed my husband and I are to have them in our lives and we are going to make sure they eat well, have a happy long life and they feel they have enough! I wish I could save every child in need out there!
If I can help someone else- my life would not be only blessed, but...whole!

Now....to play a happier note......It has been raining here and speaking of rain, I kinda loves these days (If I do not have a meeting to go to) I do not like going out! I just love to cuddle with a throw wrapped around me on the couch and read a good book! If you are in the mood for a good personal freedom book, check out "The Four Agreements" (by Don Miguel Ruiz). My mentor, friend and "sister", Terri Murphy-Hutson www.TerriMurphy.com gave me this book with a bookmark that reads "I will live this day as if it were Christmas. I will be a giver of gifts and deliver to my enemies the gift of forgiveness; my opponents, tolerance; my friends, a smile; my children, a good example; and every gift will be wrapped with unconditional love. Quoted by Og Mandino.

Enjoy the liquid sunshine and have a fabulous day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually the bake sale is already underway this year! It ends on June 30 and is being promoted by Sandra Lee and Duff Goldman from Ace of Cakes. Everyone should participate!

a~la mode Archives

My Headlines